just one bite causes an extreme allergic reaction

August 22, 2008 at 6:13 pm 3 comments

I’ve been trying to figure out Jackson’s diet since he was diagnosed with certain food allergies. Since starting his elimination diet, I have noticed a vast improvement in his skin. Last night, the kids had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (except Jackson). When we were done eating and the kids were carrying their plates into the kitchen, a tiny end of bread dropped on the floor. Jackson snatched it up just like Alex’s gecko lunges at the crickets in his cage. It was on the floor, in his hand, in his mouth in a span of about 1 second, maybe 2. I pulled it out of his mouth, thinking I didn’t get it all. Will this one bite have an effect on him?

Fast forward to about 2 a.m. and I heard a piercing scream. Not the normal middle of the night wimper that he occasionally does, but a loud, high-pitched awful sounding noise. I went to him and he put his head on my shoulder. He stopped crying, but then he started scratching his skin. For four hours, he laid on top of me on the couch, scratching and wiggling a little. I gave him some Zyrtec and rubbed a variety of things on his skin through the night. I don’t think we ever slept. No crying, just scratching. Poor little guy. Finally, I put him back in his own bed about 6:00 so I could go get a shower. When I got him up again, he had the inflamed, bumpy red skin that has plagued him since birth. It hasn’t been this bad, since he has been staying away from wheat, corn, eggs, dairy, soy, peanut, tomatoes, berries.

One bite! One bite did this.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: allergies, food allergies, kids.

2 boys, 8 eyes we can see better

3 Comments Add your own

  • 1. Karen Joy  |  August 25, 2008 at 5:49 pm

    Especially with peanut allergies, it’s important to have Benedryl on hand. It works a lot better than other allergy meds.

    Also, you may already know this, but most allergies improve/lessen with age. A few (including peanuts) almost always get worse. So, what’s a “simple” skin reaction now could very likely worsen into an anaphylaxic reaction (where he stops breathing).

    My nearly-7yo has been allergic to peanuts forever… It started as “just” a g.i. reaction, where he’d get diarrhea from them. Now, he’s anaphylaxic to just their presence!! (One reaction he had was while sitting in my uncle’s favorite chair, the one where he eats peanuts in the shell every night, even though there were no peanuts present at the time.)

    We have to carry an EpiPen wherever we go.

    Bummer.

    Peanut allergies are really serious.

    Reply
  • 2. Kathy  |  August 29, 2008 at 10:58 pm

    My husband’s niece is very allergic to peanuts — one time they were at a restaurant whose “schtick” was to have peanuts on all the tables, and for the patrons to throw the shells on the floor, and Lydia’s throat started to swell shut while they were waiting for their table — didn’t even ingest them, but the allergens permeated the building. Her parents use benadryl, and may have an epi-pen for serious reactions that benadryl doesn’t touch.

    I’ve recently read a book called “No More Allergies” by Gary Null, which you may want to read (check out of the library, through inter-library loan, if necessary). The premise of the book is that some people are just more sensitive to certain things in their environment (chemicals in the air, or foods, or medicines), and it causes an allergic reaction. This reaction may be “classic” allergies like sneezing, hives, or anaphylactic shock; but he also says that a lot of conditions may be more properly considered allergies. He mentions several people whose chronic conditions (like arthritis) cleared up when they eliminated certain foods from their diet, or certain chemicals from their homes. But he also talked about the chemical “load” that people are under, and mentioned some people who can, for example, eat shrimp most of the time without a problem, but have a reaction during spring when the pollen is so heavy. Their bodies can handle only so much.

    It was quite an interesting book, and had good strategies for how to deal with allergies and to build and support health so that allergies are lessened or done away with entirely.

    Reply
  • 3. Mom of 4  |  September 5, 2008 at 12:24 pm

    Definitely use Benedryl! Call your doctor today, and get the dosage for his weight (as you will get too many incorrect dosages online). I will sometimes give it the second my child comes in contact…sometimes I wait to see if there are indeed hives. I have Zyrtec, but MANY say it is not effective. I would never use in an emergency! (more like a preventative, if anything) btw…I am voting Palin, too! As a mom with a child with special needs, she is our best hope that something will change in the quality of food we are feeding our families! I believe this (genetically engineered fruits and veggies) is a HUGE factor in so many of our babies with allergies!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


welcome

Welcome to my personal blog about my life as a wife and homeschooling mother of a few energetic children! You'll find my favorite recipes, all kinds of reviews, the occasional rant, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

My other blogs are
birthing with guinever
grieving with guinever
I hope you can relax and stay awhile.

what to read?

Ten homeschooling moms compiled these book lists:
1000 GOOD books
100 GREAT books

Archives

site meter

Homeschooling's
#1 Way to Save
You can join the homeschool buyer's co-op for free! They offer lots of group discounts for home educators.

%d bloggers like this: